12.3.14

Thoughts III: On The Cusp of Spring


Theoretically we’re supposed to be on the cusp of spring by this time of year, but in actuality, New York seems to remain a frigid tundra of ice complete with the taste of bitter expectations of what awaits us this summer. It really seems as though its been the longest winter I’ve experienced in my 18 (almost 19!) years of living here. Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been trying to find ways to kill time while I wait for the brutal winter to drigress and allow for even a little bit of sunshine. For some odd reason, this weather has led me to avert from my almost over analytical tendency to look at things in an over contemplative manner (the way I normally tend to do so) and instead shift my focus on the whole picture of things and the way they situate themselves amongst their habitat. This new way of looking at things has become so vital to me because at the moment, I’m having an identity crisis. My tendency to overanalyze things has led me to question myself, ask myself who I am, what I am doing and why I do it. At first, it was slightly disappointing to not know who I am or how I situate myself in the world, but I soon came to realize that I’m not alone.

Self awareness and insecurity is much more conspicuous even to the casual onlooker within the fashion industry primarily because of its aesthetic factor and its not just affecting the individuals themselves. In 2010, editor in chief and founder of StyleRookie.com/Rookiemag, Tavi Gevinson, gave a presentaion in which she mentioned brand identity becoming more much important to the fashion houses of today as opposed to the trends of the season. The reason for this being is because designers themselves have been unable to dictate the trends of the present day as it has been in the past. This is the result of widespread embracement of individuality in society as a whole, specifically within this upcoming generation of adolecents.

There's this lyric in Fleet Foxes’ song “Helplessness Blues” that reads

“I was raised up believing I was somehow unique, like a snowflake distinct among snowflakes; unique in each way you can see.”

This lyric pretty much summarizes how the vast majority of modern day youth was raised and is continually being brought up. We embrace individuality because we grew up being told that we were all special which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, I think we all embrace so much of ourselves and so many qualities that we like, to the point where we cannot really surmise one personality because we’ve been exploring so many things. Take college for instance; since I've started school I've heard the same things over and over again about people wanting to do so many things, but not knowing whats meant for them. It’s the same process most fashion houses go through today; one season they’re rolling out fur jackets and the next season they’ve moved on to camo prints. Its this never ending cycle of trendwatch in search of the next best thing, but this could lead to positive outcomes.



In the video, Tavi posits something very important and that is the vitality of brand individuality in regards to how they branch out to their customer and how they define themselves in the market. Chanel’s iconic tweed jacket is considered a timeless piece that can be worn with almost any given outfit. That itself is brand individuality. That is what defines Chanel; the tweed Jacket is the essence of the brand. Similarly, Burberry’s trench coat is considered to be the epitome of the brand itself. Everything has become about the individual brand and it's relationship to a specific client

In a way, I do agree and I do think that individuality is something that's extremely vital, especially in a society where things are rapidly changing every waking second, however I'm still not exactly sure how I fit into society and whether or I'm part of some major prophecy that will somehow change the world's perspective on this topic. I will say that as confusing as it many or may not sound (or possibly cliche), insecurity and self-awareness eventually leads us somewhere in life; Who know's maybe today I'm interested in menswear but tomorrow I decide that I want to be a stripper (because lets be honest, its crossed our minds at least once). It's really about exploration and that I'm not opposed to at all.

-David


Fleet Foxes - "Helplessness Blues"

L2 Generation Next Forum: Tavi Gevinson - May 14, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment