10.1.14

Thoughts



I seem to be more concerned with the detailing of objects, be it clothing, furniture and even natural resources. I recently bought a pair of boots not because I thought they looked nice although that was a contributing factor, but mainly because I was completely infatuated with the hemline of the top stitching of the boot. I'm honestly not sure why I'm so enamored with detailing, but I think it's a good quality to posses; the ability to appreciate things  so small and meticulous that they are usually overlooked. As far as I'm concerned, not many people take the time to appreciate the stitches in the lining of a jacket or the width of the collar on a classic white shirt, especially in this city (New York). Maybe it's just my anal tendencies kicking in. Maybe it's not. Maybe my habit of over-contemplating things is actually some sort of God-given gift that is supposed to aid me when I'm making tough decisions, such as choosing between two different shades of burgundy or a plan for a school project. Whatever the cause may be, it's the reason why I enjoy the sartorial aspect of fashion, menswear and design in general.

Point, line and plane are the building blocks of design, or so that's what I was taught at school this semester. I can't look at objects now without over-analyzing them for structure and balance or point, line and plane. Even just walking down the street, I tend to unconsciously measure the perimeter of one concrete block and compare it to the perimeter of the preceding one. Design has completely begun to invade my mind, but I'm okay with that.

Just as long as it doesn't interfere with my routinely morning bagel, I think I should be okay.



David.

No comments:

Post a Comment